Write down ‘project management tools’ on Google and you will find million pages of search results, ranging from paid to organic ones. Just like looking for a needle in a haystack, it is almost impossible to check them one by one only to find the best product that suits your team’s needs. Don’t sweat it, you can find the answer here!
Why should you rely on project management tools?
We have discussed what project management is and its challenges. If you miss it, you can check it here. Now, it is time to put theory into practice and act. What’s the best way to kickoff your career in project management with a good start?
As a project manager, you are responsible for delivering sustainable projects that meet stakeholder’s expectations. It is common for companies to be working on numerous projects with teams of different people involved, so the right mix of excellent leadership and solid teamwork are mandatory to guarantee a project’s success.
In the past, project managers only needed a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a methodology to start a project. With digital transformation, project management processes becomes more complex. Dealing with the digital complexity, project management tools are critical to ensure that everything performs in a well-organized manner. Software programs can help companies in becoming as competitive as possible, as it offers a bunch of useful functions such as project planning, scheduling and time management, collaboration, documentation, budget allocation, and many more.
Choosing the right project management tools
Here are some key points you should consider when selecting project management tools:
- Simplicity – a software’s ease of use is important to support the team’s efficiency and productivity. If you and your team members can quickly adapt to a tool, you can move faster and execute the plan.
- Task management – this feature allows project managers to assign tasks to team members so they know their roles and areas of work they should focus on. Find a product that includes time-sheets to help you keep track of tasks.
- Compatibility – look for a product that can be accessed and run on most devices or browsers, so you can save time to synchronize the data.
- Resource management – proper management of money, time, manpower, and tools is imperative for a project completion. This feature can assist you in organizing resources for systematic execution.
- Reporting – find a tool that has real-time and accurate reporting features, so you will be updated on the current status of the project instantly.
- Security – to avoid the worst case such as data breach, ensure that the information stored in the software is secured and encrypted. Check out the security alternatives offered by the provider as well as analyze their disaster recovery strategies.
- Help and support – software errors are inevitable. Be it FAQs pages, emails, or live chats, make sure your project management tool offers reliable sources for answering your queries in the most efficient manner.
Now you are ready to use project management tools. The next question is, which one is worth it? Relax, Tech Grid Asia has curated some of the most effective project management tools you can use. Check them out!
Wrike is an award-winning project management platform trusted by 2.3 million users that enables teams to plan and track projects, collaborate in real-time, and automate reports. The software is great for scaling organisations, as it allows for an unlimited number of users. The tool is highly configurable and allows users to customize workflows, dashboards, reports, and request forms.
- Interactive Gantt charts
- Purpose-built templates
- Kanban boards
- Time tracking
- Project portfolio management
Pricing: Starts at $9.80 per month, per user. Free trial is available.
If you’re new to project management, Trello is an ideal place to start as it has a simple interface and generous free tier. On this platform, you can visualize project tasks on a cardboard-like dashboard that’s great for managing short and quick everyday assignments.
- Kanban View
- Drag and drop
- Detailed and quick overviews of front/ack cards
- Tasks and subtasks
- In-line editing
- Deadline alerts and notifications
Pricing: Basic free tier is available. Paid plans start at $9.99 per month, with fewer or no limitations.
ProofHub offers a replacement for conventional emailing and many other tools, integrating multiple project management features under one roof. The platform has easy-to-understand interface so you can spend less time on the learning curve and collaborate more effectively.
- File sharing
- Gantt charts
- Idea management
- Product roadmapping
Pricing: From $45 per month.
Jira is an agile project management software used by development teams to plan, track, and release software. It is a popular tool designed specifically and used by agile teams. Aside from creating stories, planning sprints, tracking issues, and shipping up-to-date software, users also generate reports that help improve teams, and create their own workflows.
- Agile reporting
- Kanban boards
- Scrum boards
- Drag-and-drop interface
- Custom workflows
Pricing: Starting from $10/month (up to 10 users), $75/month for 15 users, $300/month for 50 users.
If you look for a minimalistic yet powerful PM tool for your remote-based small businesses, Basecamp is the answer. It offers modern social media-like interface and carefree team collaboration features, where users can create projects, document progress, and manage tasks. It’s web-based software, allowing users to sign in either through a web browser or through a mobile app.
- To-do lists
- Message boards
- Documents and file storage
- Real-time group chat
Pricing: From $99/month. Free plans available.
Asana is a cloud-based project and task management solution that helps companies manage and organize tasks and projects, communicate, and collaborate. It’s helpful for teams and companies that handle multiple projects at a time, and it can serve companies of any size.
- Automated updates
- Customisable dashboard
- Email integration
- Focus mode and individual task lists
- Subtasks assignment
- Customer support
Pricing: Free for up to 15 members, paid plans from $13 user/month.
Monday is built on an open-source framework where developers can add their own custom integrations as well. Most project management tools only allow team members to access their workspaces, this platform allows users to add freelancers and third-party agents. The software can integrate with tons of integrations such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and Zapier to boost its functionality.
- Collaboration tool for multiple employees.
- Visual display of progress.
- Easy communication: tag people.
- Email notifications
- Execution board – with big screen display
- Integrations: Dropbox, Google Drive, Pipedrive
Pricing: Basic plan starts at$8/month per user.
It is a project management and social collaboration tool. Citrix Podio allows businesses to create custom applications to meet unique business requirements and preferred workflows. Users don’t need technical skills to use the software, and it helps save development resources.
- App market
- Custom API
- Social collaboration
- Share encrypted & large files
- Project portfolio management
- Issue management
- Visual dashboard
Pricing: Start at $9 per user, per month and include unlimited items, user management, and unlimited external users. Free plan available.
Zoho Projects is a cloud-based project management solution geared towards small businesses. It offers project scheduling and budgeting, which allows project managers to define project tasks, assign them to their teams, estimate project costs and follow up on in-progress tasks.
- Gantt charts
- Project baseline
- Time tracking and timesheet
- Task lists
Pricing: From $5 user/month.
Teamwork is a cloud-based work management solution that helps teams collaborate, organize tasks, and deliver on time. With an extensive set of features and intuitive interface, the platform allows you to easily communicate task status with clients or team.
- Board View
- Time Tracking
Pricing: Costs from $10/user/month. A 30-day free trial is available.
Are you looking for a capable project manager to meet your business target? Contact us today!